They are a great way to practice and improve pronunciation and accents. Fun for kids, but are also a great tool to sound clearer and better for actors, politicians, public speakers and everyone else. You can check more about the origin and definition of tongue twisters in wikipedia. Below is a collection of the best English tongue twisters. Say them as quickly as you can!
Do you know the woodchuck?
- How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?
- As a woodchuck would if a woodchuck could chuck wood
- He would chuck, he would, as much as he could, and chuck as much wood
The whole story of Peter Piper
- Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers
- Where’s the peck of pickled peppers Peter Piper picked?
- If Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers
- A peck of pickled peppers Peter Piper picked
All tongue twisters about Betty Potter
- Betty Botter bought some butter
- But she said the butter’s bitter
- But a bit of better butter will make my batter better
- If I put it in my batter, it will make my batter bitter
- So ’twas better Betty Botter bought a bit of better butter
Miscellaneous tongue twisters in English
- I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream
- She sells seashells by the seashore
- How can a clam cram in a clean cream can?
- Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bear. Fuzzy Wuzzy had no hair. Fuzzy Wuzzy wasn’t fuzzy, was he?
- I saw Susie sitting in a shoeshine shop
- Susie works in a shoeshine shop. Where she shines she sits, and where she sits she shines
- Can you can a can as a canner can can a can?
- Seth at Sainsbury’s sells thick socks.
- I have got a date at a quarter to eight; I’ll see you at the gate, so don’t be late
- If Stu chews shoes, should Stu choose the shoes he chews?
- You know New York, you need New York, you know you need unique New York
- I saw a kitten eating chicken in the kitchen
Can you say these ones?
- Eddie edited it
- He threw three free throws
- Tom threw Tim three thumbtacks
- Nine nice night nurses nursing nicely
- I wish to wash my Irish wristwatch
- Near an ear, a nearer ear, a nearly eerie ear
- Willie’s really weary
- A big black bear sat on a big black rug
- So, this is the sushi chef
- We surely shall see the sunshine soon
- Which wristwatches are Swiss wristwatches?
- I slit the sheet, the sheet I slit, and on the slitted sheet I sit
- Four fine fresh fish for you
- Wayne went to wales to watch walruses
- A skunk sat on a stump and thunk the stump stunk, but the stump thunk the skunk stunk
- Fred fed Ted bread, and Ted fed Fred bread
- Lesser leather never weathered wetter weather better
And now… Tongue twisters that you need to repeat
- Six sticky skeletons (x3)
- Stupid superstition (x3)
- Eleven benevolent elephants (x3)
- Two tried and true tridents (x3)
- Rolling red wagons (x3)
- Which witch is which? (x3)
- Snap crackle pop (x3)
- Flash message (x3)
- Thin sticks, thick bricks (x3)
- Black back bat (x3)
- Red Buick, blue Buick (x3)
- Red lorry, yellow lorry (x3)
- Truly rural (x3)
- Good blood, bad blood (x3)
- She sees cheese (x3)
- Pre-shrunk silk shirts (x3)
- Ed had edited it. (x3)